1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

发表于 2008-7-30 21:54:19 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
EXCLUSIVE: Interview With Former Spokesperson Say the name Stuart Backerman in certain circles and most people will probably tell you that he is the guy that acted as Michael Jackson's mouthpiece during one of the most turbulant times in his life. While it is true that Mr. Backerman did serve as Michael's spokesperson and media relations representative, that fact barely scratches the surface of this truly fascinating, "Renaissance Man." Stuart Backerman is an honors graduate of the State University of New York. He also attended the University of British Columbia's Graduate School of Urban Planning and received his Masters Degree. He is a professional city planner; an award-winning theatrical producer; a media relations expert; and a national television correspondent who, for two seasons, served as Special Correspondent and frequent guest for 'Entertainment Tonight', one of the most popular television network magazines. During his time working as Michael Jackson's spokesperson, Mr. Backerman developed a very friendly working relationship with Mr. Jackson's many fan clubs. Finally, here was a person we all felt that we could talk to and our feelings and concerns would be properly handled and not ignored. Mr. Backerman has been looking for a venue to get his feelings about the King of Pop out into the public. But, as we all know, no one wants to run a "positive" piece about Michael Jackson because that won't sell any magazines! So, it is MJFC's great fortune, and our pleasure, to present Mr. Stuart Backerman in his own words... Tell us something about your career background? I have had a very eclectic career. I obtained a Master of Arts degree (M. A.) in Urban Planning from the University of British Columbia. My first professional position was with a large international engineering firm where I managed the building of a number of "new towns" in the interior of BC. I was recruited by the City of Vancouver to be the city's first cultural affairs spokesperson and cultural advisor to the mayor and council. After nearly eight years with the City I decided to leave to create international major arts and cultural projects through my own company. My first production was the revival of "Peter Pan, The Musical," which premiered in Vancouver and toured North America including a limited engagement on Broadway. Subsequently, I went on to produce many other award winning theatrical, festivals and musical concert events. In the 90's I was recruited again to assist government and was appointed special advisor to the Premier of the British Columbia, where I focused on expanding the Province's role in the arts and promoted cultural exchange. How did you become Michael Jackson's publicist? In 2002 Michael became aware of my role as the producer of "Peter Pan The Musical" on Broadway. At that time he was interested in possibly playing the role of Peter Pan, and asked me to set in motion the show's opening. Unfortunately, the "baby dangling" incident in Berlin then occurred and because of the adverse publicity we decided that the timing was wrong, but Michael and I got along so well he asked me to become his spokesperson. Describe Michael Jackson with three adjectives. A. Caring B. Mysterious C. Creative What do you think about the way Michael Jackson is portrayed in the press? Generally, I think it is despicable the way the mass media portrays Michael as a "nut case," for nothing could be further from the truth. Michael Jackson is very capable and focused. However, on the other hand, the media needs Michael in the sense that he is the most interesting, curious and news worthy celebrity in the business. What did you like about being spokesman for Michael Jackson and what was tough? I loved every minute of my experience because it felt like I was perpetually in a magical dream world . . . Michael's environment is creative, and that made working for him so positive. It allowed me to also be creative. I remember sitting in his house in Neverland, and all of a sudden Michael walks down the staircase and blurts out,
"Let's have a fundraiser in Neverland . . . Lets open up Neverland so more people can experience the place. . ."
That outburst led to a very successful charity event later that year. The only tough part of working for Michael was the aggressive media. It's not easy to be respectful and informative when most media aren't willing to give Michael Jackson the benefit of the doubt and are often merely looking for the "dirt." But my job was to bring a little levity and fun to the position and I worked well with the media because I always put Michael's interests first and acted professionally.
Deep in my soul
You were there
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-30 21:55:15 | 显示全部楼层
Do you personally like Michael Jackson's music? What is your favorite song/album? I love Michael's music. My favourite song is 'Billie Jean' from Thriller. What do you think of Michael Jackson's fans? I think that Michael's fans are the greatest in the world . . . so loyal, so dedicated, so loving. I knew from the very beginning that the key to advancing Michael Jackson's career was to solidify his fan base and to make him more accessible to his fans. No other celebrity has the heartfelt fan support than Michael Jackson and I know he's grateful for that. One might argue that Michael Jackson's children don't have a normal childhood. How would you refute this? I can't refute that because, let's be honest, Michael Jackson's children do not have a "normal" childhood. Yes, they have tutors and all the trappings of normalcy, but his children's world is ruled by the abnormal life of a child of a celebrity. What is the number one misconception most people have of Michael Jackson? Most people believe that Michael is erratic. In fact, Michael is extremely focused and in-charge of his life. Can you describe one of Michael Jackson's philanthropic efforts that you have been involved with? The charity event at Neverland in September 2003 to support a number of worthy organizations was unbelievable. The number of celebrities who showed up to the event was spectacular - like Mandy Moore, Brittany Spears, Elizabeth Taylor, N'Sync, Mike Tyson, etc., etc. I was in awe! What was your favorite part of Neverland? The serenity . . . Neverland is one of the most peaceful, meditative, spiritual places that I've ever been. Can you share the most memorable experience involving Michael? There were so many memorable experiences that I had with Michael, but one of the highlights is the day he received the key to the city of Las Vegas from Mayor Goodman. He was truly touched and whispered to me, "I'm a lucky soul." I almost cried with joy when I heard him express his grateful feelings that way. I also remember the first time I spoke to Michael on the telephone. It was a Friday night, and the telephone rang at about eight o'clock': "Hello?" It was Dieter Wiesner, MJ's new manager, from Neverland. "Stuart," he said. "I have someone on the line who wants to talk to you." I didn't realize what it was all about, but then I suddenly heard a voice I recognized from music and television, including some memorable performances at the Grammy's, a voice that I knew in an instant could only belong to one person. "Stuart," the voice began in a gentle half-whisper, an intimate feeling to it. "It's Michael. I watched a video of you this evening and I just want to tell you that I'm delighted to have you on board as one of the team. Dieter has told me a lot about you and your experience producing Peter Pan, The Musical, and I can't wait to meet you. I just want to say, 'Welcome." "Thanks," I stumbled back, still in shock. "I'm looking forward to it, too. It should be a blast." Then Dieter was back on the line again from Michael's library in Neverland. "You're hired, Stuart," he said, confirming what I had just heard as I sat there stunned...
Deep in my soul
You were there

主题

1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-30 21:56:46 | 显示全部楼层
I began working for Michael Jackson in an official capacity in the fall of 2002. I didn't realize it at the time, but a roller coaster ride was about to begin. I should have strapped on my seat belt....it was going to be a wild ride! Another memorable experience: On August 29th, 2003, Michael Jackson turned forty-five. Being a Jehovah Witness, he rarely celebrated birthdays, but in a decision that showed how pleased he was with my advise and judgment, he agreed to participate in a blow-out birthday bash at the historic Orpheum Theater in Los Angeles. The event was produced by the Michael Jackson Fan Club (MJFC) and was an example of the kinds of events we hoped to sponsor through working closely with Michael's fan base. Since I also wanted people from all over the world to have access to the event, I arranged for MSN to simulcast it. Their eagerness to do so showed just how far we had come since the difficult days of the Bashir documentary. The night of the party, with two thousand fans from thirty countries milling around outside the theater in fervent expectation of Michael's arrival, I thought of the 1965 Beatles concert at Shea Stadium---the same kind of excitement filled the air. When Michael's limousine pulled up, the fans mobbed it, crying out his name and thrusting birthday presents into the interior when he rolled down the window to wave. "Follow me," I said, leading him through the stage door entrance and up to one of the theater's balconies, the vantage point from which he would watch the extravagant three hour tribute. The party was every bit as good as people expected, and the fan clubs did a great job. Steve Harvey was an engaging host and the performers were fantastic, especially the Kennedy Tap Company, who danced to 'Smooth Criminal.' At the end of their routine, a boy about six years old did a solo that brought the house down. Michael clapped so enthusiastically, he practically fell out of the balcony. The look on his face was one of pure rapture as he watched that little boy dance--it was if he'd been magically transported back to his own childhood. After the performances, Michael came down on stage to cut his cake, meet the entertainers and mingle with his loving fans. One of his admirers lost her sandal and there was a Cinderella moment when he graciously knelt to replace it on her foot. He told everyone how much he appreciated his new advisors, declaring, "I will make you all proud of being a Michael Jackson fan," a pledge that succinctly expressed my hopes for the future. As a publicist what do you think would be the best move for Michael Jackson to make? The trial that ended in 2005 was traumatic for Michael. He's needed these intervening years to galvanize his energy and focus again, but I think it's time for him to do what he does best . . . perform live! I know he doesn't really want to perform again, but I've advocated with all my heart that he should perform on his 50th birthday. This would be a real milestone for everyone. Even if he preformed two or three songs, perhaps with a choir, it would be a great thing for his life and career. The event could be broadcast globally. He could show the world that he still has the "fire." And he could show his fans their faith was not in vain. I also believe that it would help his self-esteem to know that he could do it again, but he's scared to take the step . . . I wish I could convince him. If given an opportunity, would you do it again? In a New York minute!!! I haven't spoken to Michael in a long time, but I know we could make magic again. What's one thing that the world doesn't know about Michael Jackson that they should know? Michael is playful. In honor of his 45th birthday we had a party with a big birthday cake in a circus tent at Neverland. In attendance were Nick and Aaron Carter and a large crowd of well-wishers. After we sang happy birthday, Michael wanted to be silly and started a food fight with Aaron which ignited into a huge food fight with everybody! It was awesome! Did Michael Jackson allow you to see "the private Michael Jackson" or was the relationship more "business-like?" I would say that our relationship was more "business-like" than personal, although there were times that Michael would quietly confide in me. We talked about the world of music, the state of the record business and his future plans. In general though, he kept his own counsel and protected his privacy ferociously. My perception of Michael never changed and never waivered. Before meeting him I felt a kindred spirit with Michael and after working for him I still feel that same way . . . forever. What was a favorite memory of Neverland? It was a gorgeous morning when I arrived at Neverland for the first time. As I entered the main gates my eyes went to the bronze statues of children scattered throughout the impeccably manicured grounds, winsome pictures of boys and girls at play, suspended in time like Michael Jackson's celebrated alter ego, Peter Pan. I didn't dwell unduly on his love of young people, since I was blown away to simply be there in Neverland; my favorite place on Earth, the fairy tale kingdom of the world's most celebrated pop star. I admit to feeling a bit giddy that morning---I had imbibed the elixir of Michael's fame. Michael greeted me in a voice that [had] a slightly trilling and pleasing musical quality to it. We shook hands and I was surprised at the strength of his grip. He didn't have a limp or wimpy handshake like I thought he might and he had larger hands than I expected. We shook hands for about ten seconds as we made eye contact. His gaze was open, his manner straightforward. "You're doing a great job, Stuart," he said, "And I'm really pleased to meet you. You're an asset to the team." "Thanks," I said. "It's been great working for you and I'm really enjoying it." We chatted a few minutes about the ranch and how beautiful it was. "I want Dieter to show you everything---all of it. I want you to become as familiar with this place as anyone that has ever lived, I mean it," Michael said..... At that moment I had a feeling of amazement. It's a simple thing---to meet someone, shake hands, chat, and say goodbye. It happens a million times, so why should this be different? Yet it was.....It was Michael Jackson! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The MJFC Team would like to sincerely thank Mr. Backerman from the bottom of our hearts. Not just for the privilege of running this exclusive interview; but for everything that he did during that very difficult time in all of our lives. Stuart, you will never know how much we love and appreciate you! An Open Letter To Michael From Stuart Backerman I was your official spokesman and worked for you for almost two years, doing the best job I could, believing that you had a gift to share with the world.When I resigned, I stated that I loved both you and your fans, who have over the years exhibited a truly amazing display of loyalty and devotion to you, both as a person and to the values that they believe you exemplify. Though that declaration might have seemed excessive at the time, it was uttered from the heart, since I believe we are all perfect in the eye's of our Creator, an expression of that divine force that animates all life in the Universe. Michael, artists like yourself have a special gift to express that energy, which you have done so well in your remarkable life and career. But that said, it doesn't matter how many millions of records you have sold, how many TV specials you make, how much homage you receive, what really matters is the pact you have made with yourself, the inner self, not the celebrity who the world knows as Michael Jackson...I'm worried about you Michael, and wish that as a result of these difficult few years you could experience in your personal life that state of grace where there is no difference between the singer and the song. Michael, I don't want to set myself above you, like so many people are inclined to do. I don't want to preach to you, since I know your life hasn't been easy and that you've sacrificed greatly for the success you've achieved, creating a musical and charitable legacy like few other artists. But it is written, 'For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?' Michael,You have given much to the world, and have much still to give. I believe it is time to make a new beginning. I believe that if you sincerely do so, the whole world will accept and respect the new energized and contented Michael Joseph Jackson. All requests for republication of this interview must be in writing, clearly stating the purpose and manner in which the interview will be used. If republished, the interview must carry MJFC credit. Unless specifically noted otherwise, all permission is given for one-time use only. Copyright © 2005 - 2008 The Michael Jackson Fan Club. source:http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/in ... ew&id=1285&Itemid=1
Deep in my soul
You were there

主题

1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-30 21:57:19 | 显示全部楼层
I began working for Michael Jackson in an official capacity in the fall of 2002. I didn't realize it at the time, but a roller coaster ride was about to begin. I should have strapped on my seat belt....it was going to be a wild ride! Another memorable experience: On August 29th, 2003, Michael Jackson turned forty-five. Being a Jehovah Witness, he rarely celebrated birthdays, but in a decision that showed how pleased he was with my advise and judgment, he agreed to participate in a blow-out birthday bash at the historic Orpheum Theater in Los Angeles. The event was produced by the Michael Jackson Fan Club (MJFC) and was an example of the kinds of events we hoped to sponsor through working closely with Michael's fan base. Since I also wanted people from all over the world to have access to the event, I arranged for MSN to simulcast it. Their eagerness to do so showed just how far we had come since the difficult days of the Bashir documentary. The night of the party, with two thousand fans from thirty countries milling around outside the theater in fervent expectation of Michael's arrival, I thought of the 1965 Beatles concert at Shea Stadium---the same kind of excitement filled the air. When Michael's limousine pulled up, the fans mobbed it, crying out his name and thrusting birthday presents into the interior when he rolled down the window to wave. "Follow me," I said, leading him through the stage door entrance and up to one of the theater's balconies, the vantage point from which he would watch the extravagant three hour tribute. The party was every bit as good as people expected, and the fan clubs did a great job. Steve Harvey was an engaging host and the performers were fantastic, especially the Kennedy Tap Company, who danced to 'Smooth Criminal.' At the end of their routine, a boy about six years old did a solo that brought the house down. Michael clapped so enthusiastically, he practically fell out of the balcony. The look on his face was one of pure rapture as he watched that little boy dance--it was if he'd been magically transported back to his own childhood. After the performances, Michael came down on stage to cut his cake, meet the entertainers and mingle with his loving fans. One of his admirers lost her sandal and there was a Cinderella moment when he graciously knelt to replace it on her foot. He told everyone how much he appreciated his new advisors, declaring, "I will make you all proud of being a Michael Jackson fan," a pledge that succinctly expressed my hopes for the future. As a publicist what do you think would be the best move for Michael Jackson to make? The trial that ended in 2005 was traumatic for Michael. He's needed these intervening years to galvanize his energy and focus again, but I think it's time for him to do what he does best . . . perform live! I know he doesn't really want to perform again, but I've advocated with all my heart that he should perform on his 50th birthday. This would be a real milestone for everyone. Even if he preformed two or three songs, perhaps with a choir, it would be a great thing for his life and career. The event could be broadcast globally. He could show the world that he still has the "fire." And he could show his fans their faith was not in vain. I also believe that it would help his self-esteem to know that he could do it again, but he's scared to take the step . . . I wish I could convince him. If given an opportunity, would you do it again? In a New York minute!!! I haven't spoken to Michael in a long time, but I know we could make magic again. What's one thing that the world doesn't know about Michael Jackson that they should know? Michael is playful. In honor of his 45th birthday we had a party with a big birthday cake in a circus tent at Neverland. In attendance were Nick and Aaron Carter and a large crowd of well-wishers. After we sang happy birthday, Michael wanted to be silly and started a food fight with Aaron which ignited into a huge food fight with everybody! It was awesome! Did Michael Jackson allow you to see "the private Michael Jackson" or was the relationship more "business-like?" I would say that our relationship was more "business-like" than personal, although there were times that Michael would quietly confide in me. We talked about the world of music, the state of the record business and his future plans. In general though, he kept his own counsel and protected his privacy ferociously. My perception of Michael never changed and never waivered. Before meeting him I felt a kindred spirit with Michael and after working for him I still feel that same way . . . forever. What was a favorite memory of Neverland? It was a gorgeous morning when I arrived at Neverland for the first time. As I entered the main gates my eyes went to the bronze statues of children scattered throughout the impeccably manicured grounds, winsome pictures of boys and girls at play, suspended in time like Michael Jackson's celebrated alter ego, Peter Pan. I didn't dwell unduly on his love of young people, since I was blown away to simply be there in Neverland; my favorite place on Earth, the fairy tale kingdom of the world's most celebrated pop star. I admit to feeling a bit giddy that morning---I had imbibed the elixir of Michael's fame. Michael greeted me in a voice that [had] a slightly trilling and pleasing musical quality to it. We shook hands and I was surprised at the strength of his grip. He didn't have a limp or wimpy handshake like I thought he might and he had larger hands than I expected. We shook hands for about ten seconds as we made eye contact. His gaze was open, his manner straightforward. "You're doing a great job, Stuart," he said, "And I'm really pleased to meet you. You're an asset to the team." "Thanks," I said. "It's been great working for you and I'm really enjoying it." We chatted a few minutes about the ranch and how beautiful it was. "I want Dieter to show you everything---all of it. I want you to become as familiar with this place as anyone that has ever lived, I mean it," Michael said..... At that moment I had a feeling of amazement. It's a simple thing---to meet someone, shake hands, chat, and say goodbye. It happens a million times, so why should this be different? Yet it was.....It was Michael Jackson! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The MJFC Team would like to sincerely thank Mr. Backerman from the bottom of our hearts. Not just for the privilege of running this exclusive interview; but for everything that he did during that very difficult time in all of our lives. Stuart, you will never know how much we love and appreciate you! An Open Letter To Michael From Stuart Backerman I was your official spokesman and worked for you for almost two years, doing the best job I could, believing that you had a gift to share with the world.When I resigned, I stated that I loved both you and your fans, who have over the years exhibited a truly amazing display of loyalty and devotion to you, both as a person and to the values that they believe you exemplify. Though that declaration might have seemed excessive at the time, it was uttered from the heart, since I believe we are all perfect in the eye's of our Creator, an expression of that divine force that animates all life in the Universe. Michael, artists like yourself have a special gift to express that energy, which you have done so well in your remarkable life and career. But that said, it doesn't matter how many millions of records you have sold, how many TV specials you make, how much homage you receive, what really matters is the pact you have made with yourself, the inner self, not the celebrity who the world knows as Michael Jackson...I'm worried about you Michael, and wish that as a result of these difficult few years you could experience in your personal life that state of grace where there is no difference between the singer and the song. Michael, I don't want to set myself above you, like so many people are inclined to do. I don't want to preach to you, since I know your life hasn't been easy and that you've sacrificed greatly for the success you've achieved, creating a musical and charitable legacy like few other artists. But it is written, 'For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?' Michael,You have given much to the world, and have much still to give. I believe it is time to make a new beginning. I believe that if you sincerely do so, the whole world will accept and respect the new energized and contented Michael Joseph Jackson. Copyright © 2005 - 2008 The Michael Jackson Fan Club. source:http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/in ... ew&id=1285&Itemid=1
Deep in my soul
You were there

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
发表于 2008-7-30 21:59:54 | 显示全部楼层
I have his email And I kept communication with him, especially when he was the spokesman at that time. He is best spokesman in fans' heart becuz he's so close to fans.

主题

帖子

2万

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分
发表于 2008-7-30 22:05:45 | 显示全部楼层
zhe me chang (faint)
bubblecather

主题

帖子

1万

积分

禁止访问

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-7-30 22:30:06 | 显示全部楼层
麻烦下次有好的文章!在写一下中文的!照顾一下不会英文的朋友们!谢谢·

主题

1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-30 23:04:10 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 Keen 于 2008-7-30 21:59 发表 I have his email And I kept communication with him, especially when he was the spokesman at that time. He is best spokesman in fans' heart becuz he's so close to fans.
I like him Unfortunately he is no longer the spokesman
Deep in my soul
You were there

主题

1万

帖子

913万

积分

管理员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-30 23:04:57 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 wanshangdi 于 2008-7-30 22:30 发表 麻烦下次有好的文章!在写一下中文的!照顾一下不会英文的朋友们!谢谢·
我只能看懂大意,让我逐句翻译有点难度,抱歉:cuole
Deep in my soul
You were there

主题

帖子

2万

积分

王者传奇

积分
QQ
发表于 2008-7-30 23:37:50 | 显示全部楼层
论坛弄个翻译官呀~ 呵呵
LOVE   MICHAEL

主题

2万

帖子

32万

积分

管理员

飘渺岛主

积分
发表于 2008-7-31 08:17:18 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 /xin永远-MJ 于 2008-7-30 23:37 发表 论坛弄个翻译官呀~ 呵呵
正在翻译,急什么! 哪条新闻我们MJJCN没翻译过!

主题

帖子

积分

MJJCN参议员

积分

热心助人奖特别贡献奖活动卓越奖

发表于 2008-7-31 11:19:50 | 显示全部楼层
看過Mr. Backerman給Michael Jackson那封信後, 我哭了, 真的哭了!:ku Michael, 你犧牲太多了! 為什麼你不跟我們分擔你的痛苦? 你經歷的每一段路, 我都是從別人寫的書信才知曉 :ku 我真想你知道, 能夠成為你的歌迷, 我真的感到很自豪! Michael 加油! Oh! This is English forum, I should write in English. After I read Mr. Backerman's letter, I cry. :ku You've sacrificed too many! Why don't you share your painful to us? I don't know anything from you especially your struggle until others wrote something about you.:ku I would like to tell you that I am so proud to be one of your fans! Michael, don't give up. We always be with you.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入MJJCN

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|迈克尔杰克逊中文网(Michael Jackson Chinese Fanclub)[官方认证歌迷站] ( 桂ICP备18010620号-7 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 15:40